Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Get Involved!



I just returned from Destin Florida, where I was to attend our HOA meeting and budget meetings for one of the communities I have a home. I am on the board at Cottage Retreat in Destin and have held the Presidents position for the past 3 years.


The reason I bring this up is I think we need more owners to get involved. Everyone wants a nice community, clean streets and sidewalks, beautiful homes,l clean pools and hot tubs, but there is some work that needs to be done to get them there.


I have enjoyed my time I spend working with the other board members. It really has not been too bad a time commitment. If more owners became involved, then they would have a voice in the rules, regulations and direction a community is heading.


If you do not get involved, you can not complain when something does not go your way. I wanted to be involved in the early years as many rules, and items needed to be completed. If I did not voice my opinion, how can I expect the outcome I am hoping for. The HOA has to take into account the good of all the owners, not just the board members. A good board of directors will keep that in mind. It is not a place for a "good ole boys" attitude, but you must do what is best for everyone.


Think about getting involved in your community. You may enjoy it as much as I have. It is also a great learning experience. There are state laws that help protect the owners and the community. There are rules that must be followed so that no one is at a disadvantage.


GET INVOLVED! Your investment depends on it! Go to your next meeting and run for a position on the board. You may be surprised how happy others are to have your help! Then you can start to shape and mold your own future!


Good luck!

No comments: